Thursday, July 15, 2010

Does anyone know what this is?

IMG_5136
Well, let me get you all filled in on this project that almost made me a bald person...
Hunter was required to do a 3-D replica of a colony in May for his class with Mr. Hite.  The kids were required to draw a map of a colony and then do a 3-D model that looked exactly like his map.  We will just say that he go a little carried away with houses when he was drawing.
Of course this meant scrapbook supplies to the rescue!
First of all I had to use that hefty cardboard that I had saved from our screen printer packaging.  We started out with popsicle sticks for the houses but they were very time consuming and painting them got really old very quick.  I decided to use my Sizzix Big Shot Die for Mini Milk Cartons and I cut out houses of different colors. 
Of course the houses lead to trees.  We ended up putting 3 different types of trees on here since I had the Sizzix dies.  The rest was constructed out of toothpicks, glue and glitter.
IMG_5137 Hunter did a really great job painting, labeling and folding.  He even had a field of corn (yellow) , a field of beats (purple) and a field of carrots (orange).  I think it turned out well but much bigger than we ever anticipated.  It would be a challenge to get this into school...
IMG_5138
I decided that there was no way glue would hold everything so i went back to my scrappy tools.  I got my Big Bite and we punched holes in everything at the bottom - even the little popsicle houses!  After that, I just whip stitched everything to the cardboard!
Hunter made it through 5th grade as a straight A student but we don't know what grade he got on this project.  All I can say is that I am glad that it is over and I still have my hair.  More of it is grey but at least it is still there!

No comments:

Post a Comment