Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty…

I took Hunter out to shoot his 12 gauge yesterday.  We went out to a patch of BLM directly across from the Pronghorn entrance about 9:15 AM.  I noticed the large cougar track when we drove in but I didn't want to alarm Hunter.  The hair on the back of my neck stood up and that was enough to make me more aware of my surroundings.

IMG_9831

I ran the trap thrower and he did all the shooting.  He is practicing for a big pheasant hunt he has coming up on the 17th.  I have to admit, the kid is damn good with a shotgun.  He hit about 90% of the clays and burned through 3 boxes of shells.  Here he is packing up the left overs and the pigeon launcher.IMG_9830IMG_9829

On the way out I stopped to see the tracks.  I thought that maybe I was imagining how large the prints were so I wanted to get out and check them.  They were actually a little larger than I had thought on the first pass.  Here is Hunter putting his hand next to one for reference.IMG_9832

Hunter’s hands are good size.  This boy wears a size 12 shoe!  I think someone needs to take care of this big kitty.  I don’t think I would want to be out on the golf course at Pronghorn with this big tom watching me.  Gives me the hibee gibees!  Big cats creep me out a little.  I know how calculating the common house cat can be.  Multiply that by 10 and you got a big nasty ball of fur with large claws & teeth,

Warren & Hunter have cougar tags…maybe I need to invest in one since we need to get a little more practice in before the 17th.

I wonder if a big kitty like that would like a big pile of catnip…hummmmm….

No comments:

Post a Comment