Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sometimes things don't look so good...

Sometimes things start to turn kind of rotten and I am starting to think that I am about to hit a curve.

I let all the goats out to graze on our overgrown grass & weeds this morning. In all the stomping around Flora got hurt. Flora is one of the baby La
Maunchas that we bottle fed. She came up to me holding her left front leg up just a bawlin'. I grabbed her up and took her into one of the holding areas. I don't handle animals in pain very well (no wonder I decided that becoming a vet just was not going to happen for me when I was just a tween) so I locked her up after seeing that the bottom part of her leg was hurt. She started crying even more but it was because she was lonely. I grabbed her sister Terra and put her in the pin with her and fed them both. The crying stopped because the food was filling their little mouths...thank goodness! Now, I had to wait for Warren to get home...

I kept checking on them and the leg swelled but she was not crying anymore. She wasn't bearing weight but she wasn't crying. There was a lot of swelling going on but it was not all in Flora's leg. Apparently Shaggy got herself into something or got stung because her face is swollen and is getting worse each time I go out. Shaggy is one of the large mature does...the shaggy one :-) One more thing for my poor husband to come home to...

When Warren got home he looked a Shaggy and we decided to pin her up but that she would probably be fine because her tongue isn't swelling and she is grazing like normal. Then he goes in to see poor little Flora and confirms that her little leg is broken. She is not bearing weight on it so we will have to go get casting supplies and cast her little leg. I was so relieved to find an article on casting after I thought about the alternative to animals with broken legs!

Hopefully this is 2 bad things out of the way and there is only one more to come. I do believe that bad things come in threes and I hope number three is not a
doozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment