Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Cards for SSS Card Swap

I signed up for a Christmas Card Swap on the SSS MB and here is the front of the card I designed.  I used an idea from a blog far, far away (I don't remember:-(...) and it didn't work out for me like it was supposed to so I improvised.
This is my first use of alcohol inks and I decided that I like them and I will not be afraid any longer!

To create the snowflake on the dotted background...
I took a cotton ball and dabbed it onto a bottle of rubbing alcohol.  I then put 2 dots of pink ink and 2 dots of blue ink on the cotton ball (over the rubbing alcohol) and dabbed on the 4x6 photo paper's glossy side.  Depending upon the surface being covered the ink may run out - just reapply alcohol and ink drops.
The rubbing alcohol helps to transfer the ink to the paper and allows you to mute or fog the ink depending upon the ratios. 
To get the snowflake image I stamped a snowflake with the versamark pad and then sprinkled pearl embossing powder onto the sticky image.  After that, I used a heat gun to melt my embossing powder and voilà, you have a snowflake.
Once the hard part was done I simply mounted the 4" x 6" onto an inked 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" piece of purple cardstock and then onto a 5" x 7" card.
This is a view of the inside.  I printed out on regular 20 lb. paper, tore around the edges and inked.  Of course I have applied everything with my big red tape gun.
And this is the back...

I made these specifically for the swap but also made some extras and sent them to friends and family.  I have been working on cards off and on all year so some other's that went out look like this....


I appears that it is time to get started for next year since the list is growing with new found friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment